The Fort Smith Regional Art Museum Magnet
Image by Rhee Reamy, 2020
Magnet is metal, 3 x 5"
On June 14, 2009, Arvest Bank donated a branch facility building at 1601 Rogers Avenue to RAM. The donation was contingent upon the center raising $200,000 by June 1, 2009. In August 2009, Williams/Crawford Properties purchased the Vaughn-Schaap House, allowing the center to remain in the house rent free for one year as RAM’s new facility was renovated.
Staff members began moving into the renovated building in September 2012. RAM officially opened its doors at the 1601 Rogers Avenue location in January 2013, where the museum is still housed today.
In 2017 the building was placed on the Arkansas Register of Historic Places with local significance as an example of a mid-century modern design by the Fort Smith Architectural firm of Mott, Mobley, Horstman and Staton.